Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Early Review: Vampire Weekend - Contra



Well I copped this HIGHLY anticipated record from Vampire Weekend a few days early from a source that shall remain nameless, and I'm more than stoked to give it a listen. Vampire has picked up right where they left off; blending feel good Paul Simon inspired indie pop with a variety of mellow flowing sounds to produce a 10 track 37minute compilation of sheer melodic joy. Okay, maybe I'm a bit biased because I dug their self-titled debut so much (2008), but give Contra a listen and ye shan't be disappointed. I was kind of hoping for more of a late Winter/early Spring release due to the undeniable upbeat sunny vibe Vampire creates, but there's no doubt I'll be playing this album throughout 2010.

Vamp start the record off right with the upbeat "Horchata"


Check out the funky-off beat fun of their single "Cousins"...pretty rad.


A hint of auto-tune is found here on "California English". Perhaps an influence of Rostam Batmanglij's side project Discovery? (see Tweed's Best of 2009 for a track from Discovery)


And, prob my favorite track (upon first listen) "Giving Up The Gun"


Also, fun Vamp fact..."The name Vampire Weekend comes from a movie that Ezra Koenig made in the summer of his freshman year at college." [Last.fm] You can watch the trailer on Youtube, or right here...

No comments:

Post a Comment