Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Review: Them Crooked Vultures - Self Titled


"Them Crooked Vultures" - released Nov. 17, 2009


"New Fang"


"Elephants"


"Mind Eraser (No Chaser)"

"Them Crooked Vultures (abbreviated as TCV) is a hard rock music group that formed in Los Angeles, California in 2009. Comprised of drummer Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana), vocalist and guitarist Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Kyuss) and bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)" - [Last.fm]

Despite a challenging and somewhat hefty 1hr 6min run time, I finally got the opportunity to give this highly anticipated record from Them Crooked Vultures a listen this weekend.  I mean, it's almost impossible not to be excited for an album where John Paul Jones and Dave Grohl come together to rock, right? Well, unfortunately, I was a little let down by this one.  Granted, the hype was pretty intense, so it had a lot to live up to, but I still found it to be somewhat lacking.  I'll admit, I was never a huge fan of Queens of the Stone Age, mostly because I find Josh Homme's voice to be eerily dark, cryptic, and generally unpleasant.  So with Homme posing as the frontman of TCV, my pre-opinion was already negatively skewed.   Anyhow, the other two legends of Them Crooked Vultures were where I was focusing my attention.  Dave Grohl never ceases to amaze me.  Grohl has to be one of the most talented and successful rock musicians of today (have to name drop Jack White as well here.)  His drumming is tight, explosive, and powerful.  It's also clear that even at age 63, John Paul Jones hasn't officially gotten ALL the Led out as he is found driving his innovative pulsing bass riffs throughout TCV's self titled debut.

Overall this ablum does rock and it is definitely unique, but I sense too much Queen's on this record. The "trippy rock" vibe is overwhelming; see "Interlude with Ludes".  Jones and Grohl are what makes this supergroup for me.  If they had Homme strictly on guitar and found another singer, then we'd be in business.  I included a few gems from the record above.

No comments:

Post a Comment